Here are some information that might come in handy during your stay at CAS.
Bringing your own laptop
If you are bringing your own laptop, either your personal computer or a computer provided by your home institution, CAS can only offer basic IT support during your stay at the Centre.
Basic IT support includes help connecting to our fixed and wireless network, installing and using our printers/scanners, and connecting to the AV equipment for presentations and video conferencing.
The reason for this is that CAS and our IT provider, USIT, are not responsible for and does not have the necessary administrative accesses to be able to provide full software and IT support for computers not owned by CAS.
For personal laptops purchased outside of Norway, you may want to check that you can get sufficiant IT support, either remote or from IT personnel, from your supplier (HP, Dell, Lenovo, Apple, etc.) while you are in Norway. Due to regional restrictions, your supplier may not have sufficiant coverage or rights to provide the help you need.
If your laptop is provided by your home institution, pleace contact you local IT support to make sure there are not regional restictions set on your device that may cause trouble when relocating to Oslo. You should also make sure that you have access to all servers and services you may need from your home institution when in Oslo, and that your computer does not have any restrictions regarding installing and using our printer system (Ricoh on Pullprint).
If your laptop is provided by a Norwegian institution, you should make sure you computer is compatible with UiO services and protocols.
To use the Centre’s desktop computers and printer services, you need a UiO/CAS user. Please contact Dag Christian, head of IT, if you have not yet received a user name and password. Dag Christian is available at the Centre on Tuesdays and Fridays. He can also be reached at:
We recommend you change your password as soon as possible.
Note: Researchers affiliated with the University of Oslo can continue using their existing UiO login details.
To order books and articles through the online library database Oria, click here.
The website will display in Norwegian by default. Click 'MENY' in the top right-hand corner to change the language.
Click 'Sign in', and choose 'UiO students and employees'.
Use the following login information:
- Affiliation: BIBSYS
- Username: 5030103
- Password: entyde
Search for the publication you want to order, click on the title, and find the section with the heading ‘Request.' To order, click the button labelled 'Request.'
If the book you are looking for does not exist at UiO, or you have other library questions, please contact Rune.
Books will be delivered directly to CAS, usually within 3-7 working days.
Note: Write your name in the comment section before placing the order. When finished with your books, return them to Rune.
Accessing digital publications
To read digital publications online, click here.
We recommend that you install the VMware Horizon Client, but some systems may have trouble running the software. In such cases, use VMware Horizon HTML Access.
Log in using your UiO/CAS user name and password. From here, you can download and use UiO software. To read digital publications, find and click on the software named ‘UB – Biblioteksressurser’ (it has the Mozilla Firefox logo). You will then be directed to a remote desktop at UiO that can access digital publications.
Note: As the UiO client is accessed remotely, you may experience some lag. If your home institution offers a better way to access digital publications, we recommend that you use that instead.
The Centre has two printer rooms: in the basement and on the third floor.
If you are using a desktop PC or Mac from CAS, the printer is pre-installed. If you are using your own computer, you need to be connected to the eduroam network using your UiO/CAS user to use the printers.
Installing printer on PC
1. Go to Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners > Add printers
2. On Win10, the printer, named 'ricoh on pullprint', should appear on the list of suggested printers. If not, you need to search for it by clicking 'The printer that I want was't listed', and choose 'Select a shared printer by name'.
On Win7, choose 'Add a network, wireles or Bluetooth printer', and look for the printer named 'ricoh on pullprint'. If it is not listed, click 'The printer that I want isn't listed', and choose 'Select a shared printer by name'.
3. Search for the printer by entering the printer queue name \\pullprint.uio.no\ricoh, and click 'Next'.
4. The printer should now be installed, and you shoul shortly receive a notification on your desktop confirming the installation.
5. On the next screen, you may choose to set this printer as the default printer. Click to add or remove the choice, and click 'Finish'.
Installing printer on Mac
1. Go to System Preferences > Search for and select ‘Printers & Scanners’ panel > Add printer by clicking ‘+’.
If you have a button labelled ‘Advanced’ in the toolbar, click on it and proceed to step 3. If not, follow this step:
2. Right click anywhere on the toolbar in the ‘Add printer’ window, and choose ‘Customize toolbar.’ Move the ‘Advanced’ button to a spot on the toolbar (drag and drop).
3. In the 'Advanced' settings, fill in the following information:
- Type: Windows printer via spoolss
- URL: smb://pullprint.uio.no/ricoh
- Name: ricoh pullprint
- Use: RICOH MP C4504ex
4. Select 'Add'.
You may need to re-enter your UiO/CAS login details the first time you print. If items in your print queue read ‘Hold for Authentication,’ click the refresh button next to it and re-enter your login details.
Use printer queue pullprint_Ricoh.
To print from the terminal, use the lpr command. Example:
$ lpr -P pullprint_ricoh Vedlegg.pdf
Linux users may have some trouble adding and using the print queue. Please contact Dag Christian if you are experiencing any issues.
For all users
Please follow the instructions under Register your key for the printer.
You can also send documents to the printer using UiO’s webprint solution, as described below.
You can print documents from a mobile device, tablet, or from your PC web browser using Mobilprint.
Log in using your UiO/CAS user name and password.
Upload the file as instructed and click ‘Next.’ The document will then be added to the printer queue.
If you have trouble installing and using the printer on Linux, we recommend using Mobileprint.
Register your key for the printer (first time)
CAS fellow and project leaders affiliated with UiO can use their UiO employee or student cards on CAS printers.
For the rest of you, you have to register one of your keys in the printing system to use the printers at CAS.
1. Open the document you wish to print, and print it.
2. If you are using a PC or Mac from CAS, the printer is pre-installed. If you are using your own computer, you need to install the printer by following the instructions under Printer setup.
Choose printer called '\\pullprint\ricoh' or 'ricoh on pullprint'. The name of the printer depend on the program you are printing from.
3. Click "Print".
4. You will receive an e-mail with the subject 'SafeCom PUK code'. It contains a 8 digit number you need to enter on the printer the first time you use the printer to register your key. Write down the code and head to the printer.
5. Place your key on the card reader. Remove the key when you hear a beep.
6. You will be asked to enter your PUK code. On the next screen, you will be asked to create a PIN code, and confirm it.
Your key is now registered in the printer system, and you should now be able to print, scan, and copy as many documents as you like.
If you ever forget your key, you can manually log in to the printer by entering you UiO/CAS user name and password.
Note: Documents sent to the printer queue will be removed if not printed after 24 hours.
If you would like some help printing, scanning, or copying, please ask the administration for help.
Register a new key for the printer (all the other times)
If you get a new key, and your user for the printer was registered on the old key, you have to delete the old key from the system, and register the new one.
1. Go to utskrift.uio.no, log in with your UiO/CAS username and password, and choose 'Setup'.
2. In the upper right corner you'll find a small menu. Click on 'Codes'.
3. On the next screen, the old key will be listed as connected to your user account. Here, you'll have the option to delete the old key (slett) on the right side of the key information.
4. You will be asked if you really want to delete the key. Click 'Yes'.
5. On the next screen you click the button 'Generate new PUK'. The new PUK is shown on the screen. Write the code down, and bring it when you are getting a print.
6. Follow the guide for registering your key at the printer from step 5 and onwards to register the new key.