You should make sure that you have insurance that covers any damage to property or person during your stay in Norway, and on your travels.

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are entitled to health care in the event of acute injury or illness when on a temporary stay in Norway. You should bring an approved ID document when you see a doctor, along with your insurance card or papers.


If you are staying in Norway for 3 to 12 months, you may apply for voluntary membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (NNHS) upon arrival in Norway.

Fill out the form Application for insurance during stay in Norway - NAV 02-07.05 ( and return it to your local social security office ( (Norwegian).

Whether you will be granted coverage depends on whether your country has a social security agreement with Norway and the nature of your residence permit.

Generally, if you are unable to obtain health insurance from your home country, you will be granted coverage in Norway. 

Note: Membership in the NNHS may be restricted to urgent care coverage.


Remember: In Norway, everyone have to pay a deductible when you go to a public doctor or emergency room.


CAS unfortunately does not have sufficient knowledge of all types of insurance for all countries, so please contact your insurance provider if you need any additional help.


Note: It is important to report your move to Norway if you will be living in Norway for more than six months. Consult the 'Visa information' section for more information.