Created in partnership with the Young Academy of Norway, the Young CAS Fellow programme gives researchers the opportunity to grow their professional networks and create a foundation for collaboration at a critical point during their careers. The programme extends CAS’ reach to researchers not eligible to apply to lead a CAS project at the Centre.
As a Young CAS Fellow, you will receive a grant of up to NOK 175,000. The grant is intended to fund research projects and network building during the 2019/20 academic year.
Central to the Young CAS Fellow concept are three gatherings that will take place over the course of the year. Each gathering can last up to five days.
The first gathering will be hosted between August 1-10, 2019, at CAS’ premises in the historic building of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. The second may be hosted at the fellow’s home institution or a location and at a time of the fellow’s choosing. For the third and final gathering, in late spring 2020, the fellows will return to CAS.
Who can apply?
Applicants must have completed a Ph.D. and be employed in a researcher position below the rank of full professor at one of CAS’ partner institutions in Norway during the 2019/20 academic year. Project leadership experience is preferred. Applicants must be below the age of 40 (not counting valid medical or personal leave).
For the 2019/20 academic year, CAS will fund two Young CAS Fellows.
How to apply
To apply, please send an email titled "Young CAS Fellow application" to Karoline Kvellestad Isaksen at firstname.lastname@example.org containing:
- a description (2-3 pages) of the project, including plans for the three gatherings
- a draft budget
- a brief ethical self-assessment (no more than half a page) certifying that the applicant is familiar with the ethical guidelines in his or her field
- a preliminary list of 3-5 participants
- a full CV, including publications (1-2 pages)
- The proposal should clearly illustrate the project's potential as a contribution to excellent, fundamental research, and explain how the three gatherings will benefit the applicant's professional development
- If the project requires pre-approval from the Norwegian Data Protection Authority, the Regional Committees for Medical and Health Research Ethics, or a similar body, this must be secured by August 2019
- Additional participants may be added at a later date
- Applicants must be below the age of 40 prior to the application deadline
The selection process
The CAS Board of Directors will in February 2019 select the two Young CAS Fellows for the 2019/20 academic year.
If you have any questions about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact adviser Karoline Kvellestad Isaksen.
CAS is currently not accepting applications.
The application portal for the 2020/21 academic year will open in fall 2019.