The Centre for Advanced Study (CAS) invites talented young scholars to apply to YoungCAS, a one-of-a-kind intensive, international research experience.
Applications for summer 2018 are closed.
- Deadline for applications for summer 2019 will be in mid-November 2018.
YoungCAS offers a unique opportunity for postdocs and other young scholars to do group-based research with colleagues from around the world during a one-week stay in Oslo.
Group leaders can invite 8 to 10 scholars in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences from Norwegian and international universities to collaborate on a project that furthers frontline fundamental research.
Research groups may work on an existing project, or explore a brand new idea.
What we offer
YoungCAS facilitates and encourages daily intellectual dialogue and reflection, strengthening fundamental research by providing young scholars the opportunity to engage with one another in an interdisciplinary research group.
There are no lab facilities at CAS, and laboratory work, field work, and collection of data is not the purpose of this academic week.
CAS covers accommodation and travel expenses. Participants are expected to make their own travel arrangements.
How to apply
To apply, group leader candidates must submit a brief project proposal (1-2 pages). Proposals should:
- Explain the scholarly merit of the project in a clear and concise way
- Briefly argue why a week at YoungCAS will specifically add academic quality to the project or benefit a future project
In addition, the application must include:
- The group leader candidate's CV (1-2 pages) demonstrating her or his academic merits
- A complete list of scholars who will be invited to join the group and their contact information
Successful applicants will:
- Clearly demonstrate their commitment to academic excellence
- Pitch innovative, interdisciplinary ideas
- Detail how they intend to structure their one-week residency
- Explain how YoungCAS will benefit their future academic endeavours
- Group leader candidates must be below the age of 40 and affiliated with one of CAS' partner institutions
- Scholars must have completed a doctoral degree
- Experience with leading a research group is preferred